Oral history interview with Helen Liebowitz Goldkind
Some video files begin with 10-60 seconds of color bars.
- Record Type:
- Oral History
- Interview Summary:
- Helen Liebowitz Goldkind, born in Volosyanka, Czechoslovakia (Ukraine) on July 9, 1928, describes her childhood and family; the Hungarian occupation of Czechoslovakia and going into a ghetto in Uzhgorod, Ukraine; maintaining religious traditions in the ghetto; the Germans taking over the ghetto and deporting her and her family to Auschwitz; her transport to another camp and hearing bombs going off during the train ride; arriving in a German camp and working in a munitions factory; going on a truck with two hundred other girls to Bergen-Belsen, where English troops eventually liberated her; the Swedish Red Cross offering to take care of her and others in Sweden; discovering that only one of her sisters survived the war and had immigrated to the United States; and following her sister to the United States, where she settled in New York, NY and got married.
1990 January 16
- RG Number:
- Accession Number:
1 videocassette : Betacam SP.
- Leasa Fields, on behalf of the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum Oral History Branch, conducted the oral history interview with Helen Liebowitz Goldkind on January 16, 1990.
- Leasa Fields
- Legal Status:
- Permanent Collection
- Corporate Name:
Auschwitz (Concentration camp)
Bergen-Belsen (Concentration camp)
Svenska röda korset.
- Geographic Name:
New York (N.Y.)
United States--Emigration and immigration.
Volosianka (Zakarpats'ka oblast', Ukraine)
- Personal Name:
Goldkind, Helen Liebowitz, 1928-
- Topical Term:
Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945)--Ukraine--Personal narratives.
Jewish children in the Holocaust--Ukraine.
Jews--Ukraine--Volosyanka (Zakarpats'ka oblast')
World War, 1939-1945--Concentration camps--Germany.
World War, 1939-1945--Concentration camps--Liberation.
- Conditions on Access:
- No restrictions on access
- Conditions on Use:
- Restrictions on use. Interview may not be used for commercial ventures.
- Finding Aid Language:
- Finding Aid:
- Record last modified: 2015-04-15 13:41:09