- Record Type:
- Photograph #:
- Studio portrait of the Schwager family taken shortly before the Anschluss.
Pictured are Karl Grunwald, Michael and Vally Schwager.
- Micha Shagrir (born Michael Schwager) is the son of Karl (Hanan) and Vally (Yehudit) Schwager. He was born on November 1, 1937 in Linz, Austria where his father was an attorney, and his mother was a school teacher. Micha's grandfather and uncle ran a small candy factory.
Vally had come to Palestine in 1919 and married Georg Gunwald; they lived on Kibbuitz Hefzibah. Their son, (Micha's half brother), Chaim was born on May 1, 1924. Georg died half a year later of malaria in October 1924. Vally stayed on the Kibbutz until 1933 having formed a relationship with Karl Schwager, who came to Palestine in 1921. They met on the kibbutz and together raised Chaim. Karl and Vally returned to Linz in 1933 in order to provide aid for the Socialist fight against the Nazi regime. Their son Michael was born in 1937. At that time, his father was imprisoned as a political prisoner in Gusen. When the Germans occupied the area, Karl was able to request a release. One of the Austrian commandants had been in Realshule with him and helped him obtain his release.
The family returend to Kibbutz Hefizibah in 1938 and remained there until 1943. In 1944, they moved to Tel Aviv. Micha Shagrir is a reknown filmmaker and a founder of Israel Cinamateque. He was married to Aliza Shagrir who was murdered in a terrorist attack in Paris in 1980 in front of a synagogue on Rue Copernic.
- Linz, [Upper Austria] Austria
- Photo Source:
United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
Copyright: United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
Provenance: Micha Shagrir
- Photo Credit:
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, courtesy of Micha Shagrir
- Record last modified: 2012-02-15 00:00:00