- Contains investigation files, evidence, and court documents relating to the war crimes trial of Jürgen Stroop, the SS and police chief who crushed the Warsaw ghetto uprising and ordered the destruction of the Warsaw ghetto. Also includes materials on crimes committed by his assistants, Franz Konrad and Herman Hoefle. Jürgen Stroop was tried by American military authorities in Dachau in January 1947, then extradited to Poland. In July 1951 Stroop was tried at the Warsaw District Court and executed by hanging that September.
- Alternate Title
- Trial against Jürgen Stroop
- Credit Line
- Forms part of the Claims Conference International Holocaust Documentation Archive at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. This archive consists of documentation whose reproduction and/or acquisition was made possible with funding from the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany.
- Collection Creator
- Poland. Najwy?szy Trybuna? Narodowy
The Supreme National Tribunal (Najwyższy Trybunał Narodowy, NTN) was a war crimes tribunal active in Poland from 1946 to 1948. The Tribunal's aims and purpose were defined by the State National Council in the Decrees of 22 January and 17 October 1946 and 11 April 1947. The new law was based on the earlier Decree of 31 August 1944 (Sierpniówka) issued by the new Polish pro-Soviet government, with jurisdiction over Nazi criminals and traitors to the Polish nation. The tribunal presided over seven high-profile cases (Total of 49 individuals).
- United States Army investigation and trial records of war criminals. United States of America v. Jürgen Stroop et al., March 29, 1945-August 21, 1957. Washington: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Service, 1981. [CD3027.M5 N3 no.1095]
Piotrowski, Stanisław. Sprawozdanie Juergena Stroopa : o zniszczeniu getta warszawskiego. Warszawa : Książka, 1948. [D804.G4 P5 1948]
Jahns, Joachim. Der Warschauer Ghettokönig. Querfurt : Dingsda-Verlag, 2009. [DB98.K627 J35 2009]
Photographs from the Warsaw Ghetto: http://www1.yadvashem.org.il/exhibitions/warsaw_ghetto/home_warsaw.html
Richard Breitman. Report on the IRR File of Hermann Julius Hoefle [electronic resource]. http://www.archives.gov/iwg/research-papers/hoefle-irr-file.html
Biographical information on Hoefle available in his SS Personnel File. United States National Archives (NARA), Record Group 242, Berlin Document Center, Microfilm A-3343, SSO-102A.
Joseph Wulf. Das Dritte Reich und seine Vollstrecker (Frankfurt,1984), 275-87.
140 digital images : PDF ; 60.3 MB .
3 microfilm reels ; 35 mm.
- System of Arrangement
- Microfilmed records arranged chronologically in three series; 1. Statements of charges; 2. Evidence and testimonies; 3. Summary of charges. Files organized in the following order: Reel 1, vol. 1 - vol. III; Reel 2, vol. IV - vol. VIII; Reel 3, vol. XI - vol. XII. The accretion of digital records arranged in two series: 1. Correspondence regarding Jűrgen Stroop. and others (File #550 k. 23); 2. The case file from prosecution of Jűrgen Stroop, Franza Konrada, Hermana Hoefle (File #551 k. 117).
Records are arranged in the original order of their acquisition from the source archive. The museum has acquired only selected records from Institute of National Remembrance (Instytut Pamięci Narodowej-Komisja Ścigania Zbrodni przeciwko Narodowi Polskiemu, or IPN). More information about this collection and other materials in the possession of the Institute of National Remembrance, including archival finding aids from the Archives of the Institute of National Remembrance, is available at the website: https://ipn.gov.pl
Rights & Restrictions
- Conditions on Access
- This material can only be accessed in a Museum reading room or other on-campus viewing stations. Researchers must complete and sign a User Declaration form before access is granted to materials from the Institute of National Remembrance (Instytut Pamięci Narodowej).
- Conditions on Use
- 1. Each researcher using the materials obtained from the Institute of National Remembrance (IPN) or materials whose originals belong to the IPN must complete the registration procedure required by USHMM.
2. Publication or reproduction of documents (in the original language, in facsimile form or in the form of a translation of an excerpt or of the entire document) or making them available to a third party in any form requires the written consent of the Institute of National Remembrance (firstname.lastname@example.org). The use of an excerpt defined as the fair use right to quote does not require obtaining consent.
3. Researchers assume all responsibility for the use of materials that belong to the Institute of National Remembrance.
4. References to documents that belong to the Institute of National Remembrance must cite the Institute of National Remembrance as the owner of the original documents and include the full reference citation of the Institute of National Remembrance in the citations.
- Copyright Holder
- Instytut Pamięci Narodowej-Komisja Ścigania Zbrodni przeciwko Narodowi Polskiemu
Keywords & Subjects
- Topical Term
- World War, 1939-1945--Atrocities--Poland. World War, 1939-1945--Atrocities--Investigations. War crime trials--Poland--Records and correspondence. War criminals--Europe--Trials, litigation, etc. War criminals--Government policy--Poland. Jews--Persecutions--Poland--History--20th century. Polish people--Persecutions--Poland--History--20th century.
- Geographic Name
- Warsaw (Poland)--History--Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, 1943. Poland--History--Occupation, 1939--1945.
- Holder of Originals
Instytut Pamięci Narodowej-Komisja Ścigania Zbrodni przeciwko Narodowi Polskiemu
- Legal Status
- Permanent Collection
- Source of acquisition the Instytut Pamięci Narodowej-Komisja Ścigania Zbrodni przeciwko Narodowi Polskiemu (IPN), Warsaw, Poland, Sygn. GK 196 (NTN File SWMW 874). The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum Archives received the filmed collection via the United States Holocaust Museum International Archives Programs in December 1998.
- Special Collection
Claims Conference International Holocaust Documentation Archive
- Record last modified:
- 2022-07-28 18:06:12
- This page: