- 801 applications for entry into Uruguay of Jews descent from Europe. The files consist of immigration applications and documentation filled out by family members (and in some cases companies) residing in Uruguay and sponsoring individuals seeking entry into Uruguay, including the names of the sponsored family member(s), their nationality and current address abroad, and other personal data. Also includes the persons' arrival date and ship information. Many of the applications feature the Uruguayan residency permit of the private sponsor, including portrait photographs of applicants. Note: The collection includes the application filled out by Gerngross family, the famous merchant family from Vienna that owned the "Gerngross" department store which still exists in Vienna to this day (File 107).
- Alternate Title
- Foreigner Entry Management "First Class Passengers" : Immigration records
- Credit Line
- Forms part of the Claims Conference International Holocaust Documentation Archive at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. This archive consists of documentation whose reproduction and/or acquisition was made possible with funding from the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany.
7,555 digital images : JPEG ; 778 MB .
- System of Arrangement
- Arranged in one series: Applications of Jews applying for the entry to Uruguay (Note: Originally organized in 937 folders, 136 folders are missing). Digital folders organized: Caja (Box) 8-13; It corresponds to a box number 1-5 as it is indicated in the finding aid. The Excel concordance contains explanation how to find a digital folder for a particular name.
Rights & Restrictions
- Conditions on Access
- This material can only be accessed in a Museum reading room or other on-campus viewing stations. No other access restrictions apply to this material.
- Conditions on Use
- Fair use only.
- Copyright Holder
- Uruguay. Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores.
Keywords & Subjects
- Holder of Originals
Uruguay. Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores.
- Legal Status
- Permanent Collection
- Source of acquisition is the Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores Uruguay (Ministry of Foreign Relations of Uruguay). The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum Archives received the filmed collection via the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum International Archival Programs Division in April 2017. Note: Project conducted in cooperation with the Central Archives for the History of the Jewish People (CAHJP) Jerusalem
- Special Collection
Claims Conference International Holocaust Documentation Archive
- Record last modified:
- 2023-07-05 16:55:25
- This page: