- Universal Newsreel, Vol. 18, No. 419. Release date, 07/26/1945.
According to UN advance information: "Churchill Defeated by Attlee." Major Clement R. Attlee, leader of the British Labor Party, is commissioned by King George VI to form a Labor Government after the Labor Party decisively defeats Churchill's Conservative Party, in the first general election Great Britain has had in ten years.
According to UN monolog: Attlee..., the head of the Labor Party, and his associates swept the wartime government from power, only Churchill and Eden retaining their seats in the House of Commons....25,000,000 voters turned out to give the labor party almost 400 seats in the House of Commons out of a possible 640. The greatest victory for labor in England's history. King George VI, following Churchill's resignation, turned over the reins of government to Attlee, here on the King's left.
- Film Title
Churchill Defeated by Attlee
1945 July 26
- Accessed at United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, courtesy of National Archives & Records Administration
Camera Operator: Pathe
Rights & Restrictions
- Conditions on Access
- You do not require further permission from the Museum to access this archival media.
- Public Domain
- Conditions on Use
- To the best of the Museum's knowledge, this material is in the public domain. You do not require further permission from the Museum to reproduce or use this material.
Keywords & Subjects
- Legal Status
- Permanent Collection
- Film Provenance
- The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum purchased this from the National Archives and Records Administration in December 1992. The footage was obtained as research for the Museum's Learning Center.
- Film Source
- United States. National Archives and Records Administration. Motion Picture Reference
- File Number
- Legacy Database File: 2027
Source Archive Number: 200 UN 18-419
- Special Collection
Steven Spielberg Film and Video Archive
- Record last modified:
- 2022-07-28 22:02:36
- This page: