- Contains records of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). Includes reports, photographs, newspaper clippings, speeches and various articles relating to the mission of the “division de secours;” aid to POWs during World War II, POW camps in Germany, and correspondence with Carl Jacob Burckhardt, Roger Gallopin, Max Huber, Albert Lombard, Robert Macduff, Heinrich Zangger, and others. The collection contains also biographical files, personal papers, autobiographical summaries, visual material of the ICRC, and Second World War artifacts. Includes a rare map printed on silk. This map, a “blood chit,” was sewn into the jackets of American airman in order to assist downed fliers to flee Nazi-occupied territories into Switzerland or Spain. This artifact has been scanned together with the rest of the archival material in the collection.
- Alternate Title
- Henry Wasmer papers
- Collection Creator
- Henry Wasmer
Henry Wasmer (Nov.14,1901 – Sep.19, 1992) was a International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) official. Graduated from the "Ecole supérieure de commerce" in Lausanne. Held managerial positions in various companies in Italy, France, England, and Germany before joining the ICRC in 1942. At the ICRC Wasmer was responsible for organizing the "division de secours," i.e. the procurement, transportation, and distribution of care packages to POWs.
749 digital images : PDF ; 94.9 MB.
Rights & Restrictions
- Conditions on Access
- This material can only be accessed in a Museum reading room or other on-campus viewing stations. Users are required to complete a User Declaration in order to gain access to the collection.
- Conditions on Use
- No publication and copies of the records and finding aids to the 3rd party users without the written permission from the Archiv für Zeitgeschichte (AfZ). The Museum may not transfer the materials or duplicate records thereof or any of the finding aids to any third party, except as permitted in the Cooperation Contract, Article II paragraph 5 herein or as otherwise permitted in writing by the AfZ. The Museum may not publish the reproduction material or finding aid on the Internet, World Wide Web, or any publicly accessible on-line network without the written permission of the AfZ. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Copyright Holder
- Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich. Archiv für Zeitgeschichte - Archivleitung
Keywords & Subjects
- Holder of Originals
Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich. Archiv für Zeitgeschichte - Archivleitung
- Legal Status
- Permanent Collection
- Source of acquisition is the Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich. Archiv für Zeitgeschichte (AfZ), Switzerland; the signature: NL Henry Wasmer. The AfZ acquired the collection from 1984-1989. The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum Archives received the collection via the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum’s International Archives Project in Nov. 2011.
- Record last modified:
- 2023-08-23 09:29:56
- This page: