- The Louis Cavagnaro papers consist of correspondence and subject files and lists compiled by Cavagnaro while preparing his unfinished book, "Inside the Gates of Hell." Cavagnaro’s project was to collect survivor, liberator, and witness testimony to document the experiences of non-Jewish victims of the Nazi concentration camp system. Correspondence and subject files include correspondence, research materials, clippings, personal narratives, and drafts of book chapters. Lists include concentration camps, survivors, liberators, organizations, glossaries, and indexes.
- Credit Line
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum Collection, acquired from Louis Cavagnaro
- Collection Creator
- Louis Cavagnaro
Louis Arthur (Art) Cavagnaro was born in 1926 and served as a Gunnery Sergeant in the United States Marine Corps in World War II, Korea, and Vietnam. After retiring from the military, he worked in private security and in the Secret Service. In 1999 he published a fictional work about World War II in the Pacific.
- System of Arrangement
- The Louis Cavagnaro papers are arranged as a three series: I. Correspondence, 1991-1999, II. Subject files, 1992-1996, III. Lists, 1990s
Rights & Restrictions
- Conditions on Access
- There are no known restrictions on access to this material.
- Conditions on Use
- Material(s) in this collection may be protected by copyright and/or related rights. You do not require further permission from the Museum to use this material. The user is solely responsible for making a determination as to if and how the material may be used.
Keywords & Subjects
- Holder of Originals
United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
- Legal Status
- Permanent Collection
- Louis Cavagnaro donated the Louis Cavagnaro papers to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in 1999.
- Funding Note
- The cataloging of this collection has been supported by a grant from the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany.
- Record last modified:
- 2023-02-24 13:39:37
- This page:
Also in Oral histories from the Louis Cavagnaro collection
Contains eighteen sound cassettes of oral history interviews conducted with liberators and Louis Cavagnaro's notes for his unfinished manuscript about concentration camps