- The William C. Alston Jr. papers consists of handwritten notes relating to the Mauthausen concentration camp, dated May 17, 1945; a booklet giving visitor directions to Mauthausen concentration camp and Gusen concentration camp; a handwritten note giving permission to visit a former Nazi concentration camp; a news article describing war-time activities of the U.S. 45th Infantry Division in Aschaffenburg, Germany; a photocopy of an American army medical corps identification card for Alston; and a photocopy of a letter from Alston sent to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in 1993 which describes his memories of the war. Also included are photographs of Mauthausen concentration camp and colored slides.
- Credit Line
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum Collection, Gift of Dr. William C. Alston, Jr.
- Collection Creator
- William C. Alston Jr.
During World War II, William C. Alston Jr. (1913, USA - ) served as a flight surgeon for the United States Army Medical Corps. On 17 May 1945, he visited the newly liberated Mauthausen concentration camp.
- System of Arrangement
- The William C. Alston Jr. papers is arranged in a single series.
Rights & Restrictions
- Conditions on Access
- There are no known restrictions on access to this material.
- Conditions on Use
- Material(s) in this collection may be protected by copyright and/or related rights. You do not require further permission from the Museum to use this material. The user is solely responsible for making a determination as to if and how the material may be used.
Keywords & Subjects
- Holder of Originals
United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
- Legal Status
- Permanent Collection
- Alston took notes of his visit to Mauthausen. In Oct 1992, he gave this material to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. In approximately August 1993, Dr. Alston donated b/w photograph. In September 1993, Dr. Alston donated color slides.
- Funding Note
- The cataloging of this collection has been supported by a grant from the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany.
- Record last modified:
- 2023-08-25 17:15:45
- This page: