German occupation records from the Archive of New Records, Poland
8 microfilm reels ; 35 mm.
Contains various documents relating to the German occupation of Poland, including records about the establishment of Judenräte, the establishment of the General Government and its administration during the occupation, the “Jewish Question,” anti-Soviet propaganda, resistance movements, executions, and the special handling of Jews.
- Document Creator
- Archiwum Akt Nowych
The Central Archives of Modern Records was created through a decree issued by chief of state Józef Piłsudski on 7 February 1919. The archive quickly became one of the largest archives, which, in 1939 was a possession of 35 kilometers of records of central state institutions. Unfortunately, 97% of the records gathered were destroyed, burned during 2nd World War, under German occupation. Nowadays, the Central Archives of Modern Records in Warsaw works on the ground of the Act on National Archival Records and Archives of July 14, 1983, Journal of Law, (Dziennik Ustaw) No 38, 1983.07.19 with later changes. The Central Archives of Modern Records possesses 25 kilometers of records, collected in almost 2400 archival collections of records of central state institutions, social, political records and records from the period of Polish independence. These include records of such important central institutions as the Civil Chancellery of the President of the Republic of Poland, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other ministries from the tnterwar period. The most valuable records include documents of the Polish Underground State from the period of World War II - the Office of Government Delegate and Home and the Headquarters of the Polish Home Army (AK), documents of underground institutions and underground military which were active under German and Soviet occupation during World War II and which were the largest in Europe. Records of political parties are located at the Archive as well. It is also in possession of numerous records of social institutions, such as trade unions and associations. The heritage of the most significant personages in the history of Poland is of special significance at the Archive. The Archive of Ignacy Jan Paderewski, an outstanding musician and politician, and the records of Marshall Józef Piłsudski are particularly important. The Archive is also in possession of a huge collection of photographs, audio materials and a cartographic collection. It is also preparing to begin collecting electronic documentation.
- System of Arrangement
- The system of arrangement of the source repository has been preserved in the microfilmed reels. Arranged in 16 series: Series 1. File 214/I-1, Instructions of the General Gouvernement in occupied Poland, Reel 1; Series 2, File 214/I-2, Orders, instructions of the SS and police commissioner, 1939-1945, Reel 1 - 2; Series 3, File, Regierung des General Gouvernement Haupteilung Propaganda, Reel 3; Series 4, 214-II, Der Gouvenour des Distrikts Kraków, Der SS- und Polizeifűrer im Distrikt Kraków, Reel 4; Series 5, 214-III, Der Gouverneur des Distrikts Radom, Der SS- und Polizeifèuhrer im Distrikt Radom, Reel 4; Series 6, 214-IV, Der Gouverneur des Distrikts Lublin, Der SS- und Polizeifűrer in Distrikt Lublin, Reel 4; Series 7, File 214-V, Der Gouverneur des Distrikts Warschau, Reel 5; Series 8, File 214-VI, Gouveneur des Distrikts Galizien, Reel 6; Series 9, File 214-VII, Der Reichsstathalter in Warthegau, Reel 6; Series 10, File 214-VIII, Geheime Staatspolizei, Staatspolizeistelle Oppeln, Reel 6; Series 11, File 214-IX, Kommando der Schutzpolizei, Schutzpolizei-Abschnittskommando West, Reel 6; Series 12, File 214-X, Dowodlca SS i Policji no okreg Białystok, Reel 6; Series 12, File 214-XI, Litva-Wilno, Reel 7; Series 13, File 214-XII, NSDAP Gauleitung Pommern (Pomerania), Reel 7; Series 14, File 214-XIII, Wehrmacht, Reel 7; Series 15, File 214-XIV, Volksgerichtsh of Berlin, Reel 8; Series 16, 214-XV. Reichskommissar fèur Festungdeutschen Volksturms, Reel 8. Arrangement is thematic within the series.
- Topical Term
World War, 1939-1945--Atrocities--Poland.
Jewish councils--Poland--20th century.
Propaganda, Anti-Soviet--Poland--20th century.
World War, 1939-1945--Underground movements--Poland.
World War, 1939-1945--Propaganda--Poland.
Executions and executioners--Poland.
Police administration--Poland--History--German occupation, 1939-1944.
Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945)--Poland.
- Geographic Name
Poland (Territory under German occupation, 1939-1945)
Wielkopolska (Poland)--Politics and government.
- Corporate Name
Poland. Gouverneur des Distrikts Krakau.
Poland. Gouverneur des Distrikts Radom.
Poland. Gouverneur des Distrikts Lublin.
Poland. Gouverneur des Distrikts Warschau.
Poland. Gouverneur des Distrikts Galizien.
Germany. Geheime Staatspolizei. Staatspolizeistelle Oppeln.
Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiter-Partei. Gau Pommern.
- Holder of Originals
Archiwum Akt Nowych
- Legal Status
- Permanent Collection
- Source of acquisition is the Archiwum Akt Nowych, Poland. The General Gouvernement, General Gouvernement subordinate agencies, and the Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiter-Partei created the documents during the German occupation of Poland from 1939 to 1945. The United States Holocaust Research Institute Archives purchased microfilms from the Archiwum Akt Nowych, Poland, in 1991.
- Copyright Holder
- Naczelna Dyrekcja Archiwów Państwowych
- Conditions on Access
- No restrictions on access
- Conditions on Use
- Restrictions on use. Reproduction of more than 100 pages of copies of documents for researchers or other institutions requires a written permission of the General Director of the State Archives of the Republic of Poland. Publication of more than 10 complete documents in an individual work requires the written authorization of the General Director. The Museum may not publish any archival material obtained from the General Director, including specific archives under his control, on the Internet, the World Wide Web, or any other publicly accessible on-line network without the written permission of the General Director. Citation of the materials in any publication must refer to the Museum and the Polish State Archives and must include the name of the archival group and catalogue number of the originals.
Record last modified: 2018-06-06 16:52:48
This page: https://collections.ushmm.org/search/catalog/irn504378