- The collection consists of documents related to the emigration of Walter Schnell from Breslau, Germany (Wrocław, Poland) to Shanghai, china in 1939. Documents include ones issued to Walter from the Reichvertretung Der Juden in Deutschland (Reich Association of Jews in Germany) requesting that Walter stay at a refugee camp in Richborough, England; one issued by Der Oberburgermeister Der Hauptstadt Breslau Hauptsteuerkasse (The Tax Division of the City of Breslau) granting Walter permission to emigrate and that he owes no taxes; and one issued by Deutsches Reich Heimatschein (German Citizenship Affidavit) stating that he was a German citizen.
- Collection Creator
- Walter Schnell
Walter Schnell (1904-2008) was born on April 16, 1904, in Strehlen, Germany (Strzelin, Poland) to Alfred (b. 1863) and Betty (b. 1880, née Löwenberg) Schnell. His parents owned a prominent glass and porcelain business. In 1937 Walter’s family sold their business and moved to Breslau, Germany (Wrocław, Poland). During Kristallnacht Walter hid in the attic but was later arrested by the Gestapo. He was deported to the Buchenwald concentration camp on November 10, 1938 and released on January 1, 1939 on the condition that he emigrate from Germany. He planned to immigrate to Panama, but was unable to get a visa. Walter then decided to go to Shanghai, China in May 1939 where a visa was not required for entry. He survived the Holocaust in Shanghai and worked as the manager of the General Kosher Kitchen which supplied food for Orthodox Jews. In 1947 Walter immigrated to the United States after receiving a visa from two cousins in New York. Walter’s mother was deported from Brelsau to Theresienstadt in 1942.
- System of Arrangement
- The collection is arranged as a single series.
Rights & Restrictions
- Conditions on Access
- There are no known restrictions on access to this material.
- Conditions on Use
- Material(s) in this collection may be protected by copyright and/or related rights. You do not require further permission from the Museum to use this material. The user is solely responsible for making a determination as to if and how the material may be used.
Keywords & Subjects
- Topical Term
- Refugees, Jewish--England--Richborough. Refugee camps--England--Richborough. Jews--Germany--History--1933-1945. Jews--Poland--Wrocław.
- Geographic Name
- Germany--Emigration and immigration--History--1933-1945. Shanghai (China)--Emigration and immigration--History.
- Personal Name
- Schnell, Walter, 1904-
- Holder of Originals
United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
- Legal Status
- Permanent Collection
- Walter Schnell donated the papers to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in 1992.
- Record last modified:
- 2023-02-24 14:11:49
- This page: