- The David Mielzynski papers include a Wehrmacht document excluding David Mielzynski from service, his identification card, a card identifying him as a victim of fascism, and three calendars he used while hiding in a toolshed during the Holocaust.
- Credit Line
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum Collection, Gift of Elizabeth Mills
- Collection Creator
- David Mielzynski
David Mielzynski (later David Mills) was born in 1910 in Schwersenz, Posen (Swarzędz, Poland). He lived in Berlin, Germany, with his wife Liesbeth Sieradzki, who was born in 1913. Liesbeth left Berlin for England expecting him to follow in two weeks. Instead he was trapped in Germany and survived for three years hidden in a toolshed on a field in Berlin-Lichterfelde, 2 miles from SS Headquarters. A non-Jewish man whose name in not known, supplied him with food, helping him to survive in hiding for three years. David was liberated by the Russians in May 1945. He emigrated to the United States in September 1946. He Americanized his name to Mills. His wife Liesbeth’s entire family from Poznan, Łódź, and Warsaw perished in the Holocaust. David, 78, passed away in 1988.
- System of Arrangement
- The David Mielzynski papers are arranged as a single series: I. David Mielzynski papers, 1939-1945
Rights & Restrictions
- Conditions on Access
- There are no known restrictions on access to this material.
- Conditions on Use
- Material(s) in this collection may be protected by copyright and/or related rights. You do not require further permission from the Museum to use this material. The user is solely responsible for making a determination as to if and how the material may be used.
Keywords & Subjects
- Holder of Originals
United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
- Legal Status
- Permanent Collection
- Elizabeth Mills donated the David Mielzynski papers to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in 1989.
- Funding Note
- The cataloging of this collection has been supported by a grant from the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany.
- Primary Number
- Record last modified:
- 2023-04-28 07:46:31
- This page:
Also in David Mielzynski collection
The collection consists of a document excluding David Mielzynski from service in the Wehrmacht, two identification cards, three calendars which David Mielzynski used in hiding, and a Star of David badge.