Oral history interview with Henry Greenbaum
Some video files begin with 10-60 seconds of color bars.
- Record Type:
- Oral History
- Interview Summary:
- Henry Greenbaum (né Staraharwitz), born in Poland, discusses doing forced labor in a munitions factory at age 16; wearing Jewish stars; the treatment of the youth by the German forces; the ghetto; the death of the majority of his sisters; how those trying to escape were shot and killed; going to Auschwitz and going through the selection process; being given a number and striped pants; how Roma were in a neighboring barrack and many were shot; building roads; how beatings were common; the hanging of one young boy; being sent on a death march; being liberated by American soldiers; being wounded in 1943 and not receiving treatment until 1945 by the Red Cross; and the criticism of Jews from the outside world.
- Collection Subtitle:
- Henry Greenbaum Remembers
1988 May 06
- RG Number:
- Accession Number:
1 videocassette (U-Matic) : sound, color ; 3/4 in..
- The Holocaust Eyewitness Project produced the interview with Henry Greenbaum on May 6, 1988 in the Washington, D.C. area. Edith Fierst, on behalf of the Holocaust Eyewitness Project, donated a copy of the interview to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in 1989.
- Legal Status:
- Permanent Collection
- Corporate Name:
Auschwitz (Concentration camp)
Interessengemeinschaft Farbenindustrie Aktiengesellschaft.
Red Cross and Red Crescent.
- Personal Name:
- Topical Term:
Concentration camp inmates--Selection process.
Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945)--Poland--Personal narratives.
Star of David badges.
World War, 1939-1945--Concentration camps--Liberation.
World War, 1939-1945--Medical care.
- Conditions on Access:
- No restrictions on access
- Conditions on Use:
- No restrictions on use. Donor retains copyright on this collection.
- Credit Line:
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum Collection, Gift of the Holocaust Eyewitness Project and Edith Fierst
- Finding Aid Language:
- Finding Aid:
- Record last modified: 2015-06-30 11:31:20