- Brief Narrative
- One postage stamp from a collection consisting of postage stamps of varying values issued by the Deutsches Reich.
- Credit Line
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum Collection, Gift of John Shields
- Object Type
Postage stamps (lcsh)
- Physical Description
- Postage stamp made of paper, rectangular in shape with scalloped edges and approximately 1 1/16 inches (2.6 cm) tall by 7/8 in (2.2 cm) wide in size. An inked rectangle with white image and inscription is found on one side. The ink is green in color and the inked rectangle is smaller in size than the paper itself leaving an ink free boarder around the edge. At the center of the green image is a stylized depiction of an eagle facing forward with wings spread within a circle. Around the circle is another circular band, the top of which contains the words “DEUTSCHE REICHS POST” starting on the left side and ending on the right. The bottom of the circular band features a decorative pattern. In the bottom two corners of the image the number “50” is found within solid green circles and between the two circles the word “PFENNUNG” is found. Rounded floral patterns fill the top two corners. The remaining areas are decorated with a pattern which mimics the pattern found at the bottom of the circular band. On top of the green image is a black inked stamp that extends past the area of the postage stamp on the top, right, and bottom edges. The visible section of the black stamp includes an arc that extends from the bottom right corner to top right corner and the characters of “GREE” stamped at the top and within the arc. Adhesive is found on the other side. The image from the other side is faintly seen in reverse on adhesive side.
- overall: Height: 1.060 inches (2.692 cm) | Width: 0.880 inches (2.235 cm)
- overall : Paper, Ink, Adhesive
Rights & Restrictions
- Conditions on Access
- No restrictions on access
- Conditions on Use
- No restrictions on use
Keywords & Subjects
- Legal Status
- Permanent Collection
- The postage stamp was donated to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in 2000 by John Shields.
- Record last modified:
- 2023-12-07 13:16:47
- This page:
Also in John Shields collection
The collection consists of postage stamps of varying values issued by the Deutsches Reich. Some of the stamps depict Hitler's profile.